The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Feel Good Week

I feel like I have so much to talk about, but I want to highlight the important stuff first, so I might go kind of out of order today. Sorry if it gets confusing.

First of all... my children. They are such amazing little people, and I just adore them. They have such interesting personalities. Lately, Tiana basically worships Vinny. She spends her entire day trying to entice him to play with her. And he is a rather obliging big brother. Pretty much any time she wants to play, he is up for it (as long as it is not in his room). Vinny recently set up his play tent in the living room, and her favorite game is getting him to chase her into it. She runs in the tent, waits for him to come, and then if he doesn't, peeks her head out and stares at him until he comes after her. They are way cute.

Tonight, she decided to attack him in the bath by standing by the bathtub tossing in every single bath toy in the bathroom, laughing hysterically the whole time. They were both pretty hysterical. She was soaking wet by the end. I tried to drag her out to put her pajamas on, since it was past her bed time, but the kicking and screaming fit was not worth it. Finally, we had to get Vinny out of the bath and get him to turn off the light and tell her to go put on her pajamas. Then... and only then... she went without a fight. Pretty funny.

We took Tiana to Disneyland for the first time this past week. She is sort of obsessed with Mickey and Minnie (and all their friends too really), so Toontown was pretty much the highlight of her life. The first time we brought Vinny, he was cautious. This is sort of understandable, considering that these huge costumed creatures are like giants compared to a toddler; however, Tiana has no fear. She ran into their arms with the hugest hugs. She was as giddy as I have ever seen her.  I love my January especially for times like this. :-)











This weekend I went to my friend Janelle's bachelorette party in San Diego. I didn't get to stay the whole weekend since Marc was busy, and I had the kiddos to get home to, but it was really important to me to be there for some of it. This friend is my longest friend. No, she is not super tall... I mean, we have been friends since 5th grade. It is sort of special to be able to help a friend you have known for almost 20 years say goodbye to the single life. We've lead completely opposite lives. We started acting together in 6th grade and went to school together from 5th until 8th grade. Then she went to the performing arts school and did the drama thing, while I went to the traditional high school and did, well, everything. She went away to a liberal arts college to study drama and had the traditional college experience, while I stayed local, got married at 19, and had a kid during my senior year of college. She took time to live abroad and try a bunch of careers, while I fast tracked it to a teaching career and bought a house. It is miraculous that we have stayed friends at all, but we have. We might not be each other's closest friend, but we have always been there, and there are things about each other that we just understand. She is an awesome person who always stuck by me, and she really deserved the awesome showing of love and fun from her best friends this weekend.   :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment