The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Why I Teach Theatre

Because I love when they make me laugh so hard I cry
Because I love when they perform so well they make me cry
Because I love when they look at me in shock when I sing at the top of my lungs just for fun
Because I love when they say thank you and give me flowers
Because I love how a hairdo can turn an actor into a character
Because I love when they give in to the awkwardness of stage make-up, eyebrows and all
Because I love the little things, like when they hand wash the powder puffs
Because I love watching them get hooked on a musical, listening to it every second
Because I love when they beg me to download soundtracks
Because I love when they listen to me talk about the first time I saw Rent
Because I love that they beg me to take them back to New York
Because I love watching them go from awkward freshmen to show-stopping senior stars
Because I love seeing them create a better system of organization that I could
Because I love seeing them become professionals
Because I love getting to finally sit back and watch the product of our hard work
Because I love the look on their faces the first time I ask them to make a professional phone call
Because I love the pride with which they report how much we made in ticket sales
Because I love how they take everything seriously, even rolling change
Because I love how they will painstakingly and pridefully repurpose a vest, humbly stitching in a corner for hours. 
Because I love that five people will grab a needle and thread all at once to fix a problem



No comments:

Post a Comment