The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Monday, December 24, 2012

What 2012 has taught me...

2012 has taught me that...


  • Happiness is a choice. 
  • Gratitude is far more powerful than I ever imagined.
  • Not all friendships last forever. Even the ones you really think will. But that's okay. Live in the moment. 
  • Money cannot buy happiness, but it can buy sanity. 
  • It is possible for my children to be exactly like me and nothing like me all at once. 
  • Students remember everything I say, even stuff I don't remember I said. Sometimes, it is the stuff I felt was the most inconsequential that makes the biggest difference in their lives.
  • Graduate school is not just more credits. It is exponentially harder than my undergraduate education. 
  • Speaking up for what you think is right is all well and good, but sometimes, if you really want to make a difference, you just have to learn when to keep your mouth shut. 
  • Solo parenting is really, really, really hard. Single moms have my utmost respect. 
  • No one on this earth loves me more than my mother.
  • Nothing in my life is more important than my children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment