- Happiness is a choice.
- Gratitude is far more powerful than I ever imagined.
- Not all friendships last forever. Even the ones you really think will. But that's okay. Live in the moment.
- Money cannot buy happiness, but it can buy sanity.
- It is possible for my children to be exactly like me and nothing like me all at once.
- Students remember everything I say, even stuff I don't remember I said. Sometimes, it is the stuff I felt was the most inconsequential that makes the biggest difference in their lives.
- Graduate school is not just more credits. It is exponentially harder than my undergraduate education.
- Speaking up for what you think is right is all well and good, but sometimes, if you really want to make a difference, you just have to learn when to keep your mouth shut.
- Solo parenting is really, really, really hard. Single moms have my utmost respect.
- No one on this earth loves me more than my mother.
- Nothing in my life is more important than my children.
- I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.
Monday, December 24, 2012
What 2012 has taught me...
2012 has taught me that...