The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Buried Life

So... earlier this year, I started watching this new show on MTV, "The Buried Life." It is a total indie show about 4 young guys trying to complete their buried life, things they want to do before they die. I love this show. Their list is not far fetched things like "solve world hunger" but just little things that they have always wanted to do or whatever. Some of them are big dreams, but still... not totally impossible.

My favorite thing about the show is that it is so real in that they don't always succeed on some of the harder things, but they are just so persistent, it is awe inspiring. Like the episode where they were trying to play basketball with Obama. They didn't succeed, but they got pretty darn close and tried so hard. I loved their persistence. After this episode, I was so inspired, I made my own buried list.

I have always believed that if you shoot for the moon, the worst that could happen is that you'd land among the stars. (Unfortunately, sometimes I do lose perspective and forget that I have landed among the stars, simply because I can't stop gazing at the moon and wishing I had made it there, but this is a personal growth area that I am working on). However... today I just wanted to point out that sometimes it is totally worth it, because you never know when you will actually make it. The only guaranteed failure is not trying, right? Because it just could happen! With enough, persistence...

This was posted on facebook today. See, anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment