The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hold on... hold on... crash

This has been a rough, rough two weeks. I have been hanging on by a thread. I feel like I've been barely surviving and managing everything. 
I literally have gone from meeting to meeting to meeting all week. I have not had my prep period free in a almost 10 days, and grades being due on Tuesday did not make that any easier. Plus, I have been busy afterschool every day too.  I was gone on a work trip last weekend, and I underestimated the effect not having a weekend would have on me. I have also been up reading essays for the Holocaust Remembrance Essay contest every night. It is great though, because they genuinely want to win. The winners of the contest get to go on a trip with a group of survivors to the Holocaust memorial in Miami. The students genuinely believe they could win and wrote like winners. After reading and perfecting their essays all week, I believe they could too. Most of them are beautiful, heartfelt tributes that reflect the very core of why Holocaust education is so important.
Anyhow... I took about 50 students to see a musical on Thursday night, which was amazing, and they were all singing the songs on Friday, but yesterday I was so tired I was almost delirious. I spent all day helping the essay students get their work under 1200 words- felt like a freelancer again- and finally submitted (one poor student had an amazing paper that could have got an A in a college class, but was 1800 words when she came to me to help her trim). By rehearsal yesterday, I was just barely holding on. When I finally ended rehearsal at 5 to start spring break, I was just plain spent.
Marc had plans last night and I hadn't seen my mom in weeks, so I spent the evening with them. At 8pm, I cuddled up on the couch with tiana and just crashed. While my mom entertained vinny, I slept. They woke me up at a little after 10 to head home and I am almost surprised I made it. I think I had a conversation with my dad about school supplies, but it feels like a dream.
At least I have a week free- kind of. I'm still behind on papers, my house is a mess, and I have to go to the dentist on Tuesday, but that's not too terribly much. We are going to vegas at the end of the week too, and I honestly could not be more excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment