The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What Literacy Really Means

Some of my students don't think that literacy is important. They may not tell me this to my face, but I know this because of how they do not take reading and writing instruction seriously.

Yet they should realize what literacy looks like in the real world. They should realize that in ONE day, I....
 got a call that I am late in regards to the 250 page deposition that I need to read and send my confirmation about the class action lawsuit I am involved in.
had to file my taxes, which I did on Turbo Tax, which is not hard, but is screen after screen of very careful reading.
file my FAFSA renewal to get more aid for my final year of graduate school, and Marc's FAFSA to start graduate school (yes, we will both be in graduate school next year- we have completely lost our minds).
had to fill out the very complicated Chinese visa application that is due.

If they don't believe that they will need literacy skills, they don't have any idea what the real world is going to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment