The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Simple, Positive Life

Well, this was my second weekend alone with the kids during my Lenten Facebook fast. This weekend was much easier than the last one. I didn't have a busier weekend or anything; I think I am just getting used to going without it. It takes some discipline, but it has been a worthwhile venture.

It is AMAZING how much more productive I am when I am not checking FB every 10 seconds in the middle of doing homework. I think, even after Lent is over, when I go back to Facebook, I will make myself a "no checking while doing homework" rule or something, because I really do get a lot more done. I stare at the computer screen less and read more.

Since the Roku does not lend itself well to browsing, not having cable means I stare at the tv screen less too. When I do choose things to watch, I find that I watch much more meaningful things since I actually choose shows to commit to. Last night, I watched a documentary on Auschwitz. It is actually a mini-series, so this was the first of the series.

I am such a geek of a teacher. Teaching is my whole life, but honestly it is out of love of it. I chose the Auschwitz documentary because I am about to start teaching The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, so I am on prep mode.

 I am reading a book right now that I started reading with teaching in mind, but seriously... this book is changing my entire life. I enjoy life more because of this book. It is called The Happiness Advantage. This book is a total must read. It is changing my perspective on how I view life. I apparently already do many of the things that positive people do - I write every day, for one - but I am realizing that there is more that I can do to keep a positive outlook on life. At first, I was a bit skeptical of the idea that just being positive could so intensely increase a person's productivity, but I am seeing the results every day.

It is funny that at the beginning of this year, my number one goal was to simplify, and I did not imagine my life simplifying in quite the ways it has, but it has been simpler. There are times, many of them, during the week, when I feel like I am spinning out of control, but overall... my life is simpler. I don't miss not having cable TV.  I make intentional choices about what I watch and enjoy it more. I am spending more time with my children.

Despite this year having far more complications, I am somehow less busy and have more time to think straight. I thank my mother and Shawn Achor.

No comments:

Post a Comment