The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Weekend!!!

Last weekend, I was irritated because I just wanted time and space to just be. This weekend, I am thrilled that I have just that. Okay... so I have a stack of hundreds of papers to grade, but other than that, lots of free time.

I had a very productive rehearsal today with tech and everything, which was nice. I have some very enthusiastic sophomores who are excited to learn tech and have already signed up for drama next year. Thy also are very promising kids, really. One kid is like so thrilled to be the spotlight king, it is wonderful. He spent the afternoon mastering the spotlight. You might not think this is a super complicated task, but Willy Wonka is kind of a complicated show, and in our auditorium, where lighting is just plain substandard, the spotlight can really create some magic. Another kid did a really good job of figuring out which lights were which and memorizing which numbers went with which scene. I'd shout, he'd fix. It was great. Plus, my semi-experienced student was totally on top of the music cues and did a fantastic job, especially for the first tech rehearsal. The best part... I get to keep these kids for two more years. Woo hoo!

The only thing I am worried about now is the situation with costumes and props. There is so much we need, it is not even funny. We are the scheduled group on campus for fundraising for this past week and next week, but we need so much money than I think we are going to be able to make.

We went to SubZero ice cream tonight after dinner. It was very cool. Vinny was impressed with the liquid nitrogen magic. I like the variety of flavors. I still like Hula Cookies and Ice Cream better, but this was a pretty close second. I <3 ice cream so much.

Next week is senior week. Since I am a senior advisory teacher, this means that I will be on field trips most of the week. The nice part is... barely any lesson planning. Okay, getting paid to spend time at Magic Mountain and the beach is pretty cool too. It does make for a kind of chaotic week for me though. That's okay. I'm looking forward to it, especially the beach.

Tomorrow, Vinny has his first rehearsal for the summer musical theatre workshop he is doing. He will be in a production of Sound of Music at the end of the summer. He is excited, and I am excited for him. I think this is going to be a good fit for him.  The rehearsal is at CSUN, which works well for me. I can get my lit review revision done.

I love weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment