The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Sadness

Tonight, I delivered dinner to a family from our church who lost their 4-year-old son to cancer last week. I do not know the family and did not know their son, but in pictures and from what the mom said about him on her blog, the little boy reminds me of Vinny, particularly because they are the same age and liked a lot of the same stuff.

I can't stop thinking about it. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to be in her shoes... to watch your precious baby go through so much suffering and then to know you'll never again on this earth get to be with him again. I don't know if I would be able to go on.

I do know this.... it has made me hug my son a little harder, cherish the feeling of his sweet soft cheeks, and hold on to every moment with my precious precious children. I don't ever want to forget how it feels to be their mommy. One can never know how long I will get to have them for. Maybe til I die, but maybe not. Nothing in this life is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment