The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Possibly my new favorite dinner recipe

In May, Family Fun magazine (the only one I read regularly) featured a recipe for a "Foil Feast."  It looked interesting, and I told myself I would give it a try. 

This was Vinny/Tiana's, which included no spice except a little salt and pepper.
I forgot until last week, when I had a fridge full of randomness- frozen chicken breasts and several almost empty bags of vegetables. Hmm.... foil feast?  So we gave it a shot. It was nothing exciting... just a bunch of odds and ends really... but the results were... WOW!

Essentially, its just meat and veggies that steam in an aluminum foil packet on the grill. The beauty of it though is that each person's packet can be individualized. I also found that the meat cooks much faster and stays much juicier. 

This was my packet, which I covered in Cachere's Cajun seasoning. Yum.
The first time, we had some carrots, corn, peas, red potatoes, onions, and boneless skinless chicken breasts. Vinny doesn't like his food spicy or flavorful, but Marc and I do, so Vinny's got a little salt and pepper, while ours got Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. 

 I folded up the packets and threw them on the grill for about 10 minutes on each side. The Family Fun recipe recommends about 15 minutes, but I wanted to be sure that they cooked completely through and got a little bit of roasty flavor, so I gave it a little longer.

Just wrap the foil packets up and throw them on the grill.
The finished product, fresh off the grill.
I tried it again this week, but this time, I planned ahead. I bought a package of precut steak tips (like the kind for beef stew), haricot verts (french green beans), and bell peppers. To make it a super fast weeknight dinner, which has become a necessity for us, I bought the green beans in a ready to steam package, which meant they were fresh but were the kind that you could actually eat the whole thing, no ends to snap off, and I bought a frozen bag of mixed variety pre-sliced bell pepper pieces (Trader Joe's has all this stuff for cheap). The longest part of the process was slicing the red potatoes up. We also threw in some grape tomatoes. I may have overspiced it a little this time, but it was still wonderful. The meat was very flavorful and the veggies were delicious. We ate every bite.





Mommy's yummy bowl.

Even Tiana liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment