The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Things are looking up (really, not pretending now)

So, yesterday, Vinny had a wonderful day at school. His teacher read them Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, which he loves, and... he made some friends. He still doesn't know their names (haha), but he told me he played "sharks" with them at recess, and that one of them sits next to him in his class, and he ate lunch with them and played at lunch too. Sounds like he has found some buddies.  Yea!

We are also beginning a new venture. Vinny has decided to play soccer. He has done gymnastics for almost 2 years now, and it has been enough. He liked it and didn't want to try anything different, even when Marc was offered free t-ball registration for volunteering with the league. But last weekend, Vinny declared that he wanted to play soccer. I discovered he was somewhat untimely in his decision, but fortunately not too late. Sign ups for the Fall season had ended, but I talked to a friend who put me in touch with the right people, and he said there is an opening Vinny can slide into. Woo hoo!

I went yesterday and bought him cleats, shin guards, and a ball. He was so excited he literally carried around the shoe box and ball all night. He can't wait to play.

I could really never picture myself as a soccer mom, but according to my sister, I am not a soccer mom until I drive a mini van or SUV. Sorry Tina.

I think someday I want to join an adult league. That would be fun. But there is currently a moratorium on Mommy signing up for any additional commitments. Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment