The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I have a small person of papers to grade...

What does that mean, right? Let me tell you what it means. It means that after I heaved all of the papers I took home to grade onto my passenger seat, and turned my car on, my car sensed a person and wanted me to buckle them.
There's a first for everything I suppose. I've had that happen before with my computer in the pile, but no computer today- just.... papers.... lots.... of.... papers.
None of it is too complex, but sadly, it is stuff I do need to do personally to know where they are at, and just plain looking at and writing a number on 500 pages takes a crapload of time.
I am also under crazy pressure to have crazy detailed lesson plans right now for reasons I don't want to go into.  The dark cloud of BTSA (teacher induction program) is looming heavily in the distance. There are piles of legalistic paper work I have fallen behind on, and several books that my students are actually reading that I haven't read yet- that would be the problem with literature circles. When you add new books each year, it is hard to keep up with them all.  There are currently 12 different books in my students' hands for assignments. I have read all but 3 of those. Well, at least a business trip is coming up and I can read them on the plane.
My students are amazing. My honors students particularly. They had the most amazing literature circle discussions yesterday. I even had the coolest opportunity to sit down with the group that read Jesus Freaks and share some of my life and past Christian walk with them. It was a neat experience. It was equally neat to turn 5 minutes later to the group reading The Laramie Project and listen in on a discussion about whether or not the defendants truly killed him because he was gay or if it was just a robbery gone wrong. I love my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment