The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

First Day Back to Work

So, over the past few days, I have been thinking to myself, "How in the world am I going to return to the go-go-go from 6am-6pm (or later) pace that I kept up last semester?" I was starting to feel like I wasn't even sure I could drag myself out of bed before 7am. Seriously. Perhaps it is because I took on so many huge projects this break (moving around my house to make way for a new roommate, refinishing a bedroom set, reorganizing of many cabinets/drawers/etc.), that I just found myself rather unprepared to return to my real life.

Nonetheless, I set my alarm for quarter to six this morning, hit snooze several times, but somewhat forced myself into the shower and out the door by quarter to seven. My drive to work was actually somewhat pleasant, and I rather enjoyed my morning cup of coffee. I went to school, reorganized all the desks and made my way downstairs for the professional development activities. Before I knew it, it was noon.

Of course, Murphy's law, my son chose the week I have to return to work to get sick, so my husband and I had no choice but to split the day to stay home with Mr. Ear Infection. He stayed home in the morning and I came home for the afternoon. Part of me was glad to ease back into work with a half day, but the other part of me was sad not to get to spend a few hours in my classroom getting more prepared. My desk is still covered in boxes and papers. In addition, I have to admit, as I watched a car full of my colleagues drive off to have a leisurely lunch, I was a bit jealous. It is so rare that we ever get to go out to lunch together, since our lunches during school are so short and mostly full of kids or work of some kind, those days when we do get to go out are really nice. I remember during our last professional development day in the fall, somehow it ended up that literally the entire high school staff ended up at this great Mexican restaurant in town. It was wonderful. Oh well... maybe next time....

Tomorrow I get to see my wonderful teenagers again. Fantastic. They are not nearly as cute as my three-year-old, but they sure are ten times more fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment