The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesdays are Just Long...

Tuesdays are a "shortened day" at my school. This means that I still get to see all 5 of my academic classes (English), but only for 35 minutes each. I also have a class called "advisory" that only happens on Tuesdays for about 45 minutes. Then school gets out a 1:20. That's when we go to meetings. Today it was first a faculty meeting, then a professional development activity, then a meeting with all the 10th grade teachers.

Although it is supposedly a "shortened" day, but for me, by 1:20, because I have already taught all my classes, it feels like 3:30. By the time the meetings end, I am so exhausted, I usually just go home. So, actually, I suppose, I get out of there earlier on Tuesdays than other days... but it doesn't feel that way.

However, recently, our family has had to make some changes. My husband, Marc, works for an afterschool care program that has many sites throughout the local area. He was a director at a site about 30 miles from our house, and this particular site has a preschool at it, so we enrolled our son there this past Fall for the employee discount and because it is actually a great school. Then, just before I went on winter break, they moved Marc to a site near our house, which does not have a preschool, and even if it did, I don't know that I would want to pull Vinny out mid-year. This has created a bit of a transportation nightmare.

The school I work for is 17 miles from our house... the opposite 17 miles away from our house. Because Marc has to close the site he is at, we have to be creative about getting Vinny home every day. We have family that can help a lot, but on Tuesdays, I sort of feel like it is my duty, since I leave earlier. So... when I left school today at 4pm, I made the 47 mile trek to Vinny's school and the 30 mile trek home. By then, I felt like I wanted to fall over I was so tired.

Now there is a giant stack of papers facing me and I don't even want to pull them out of the bag. I'm tired. I want to veg and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment