The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sweet Reunion

As much as I was dreading the very, very long day that I had today (left the house at 6:45 a.m., left school at 6:45p.m.), I was really happy to see the kids again. I don't think I realized how much I missed them.

When I was walking down the hall to my classroom, one of my students was like, "Mrs. Mohr! It's so good to see you! I haven't seen you in like a month!" Then his best friend was like, "Oh my gosh, Mrs. Mohr, I love you, I'm so glad you are back." It was very funny.

I have to admit, it really made me feel good to hear, "Wow, I missed this room," and "Mrs. Mohr! You didn't teach ESY, I missed you!" Even better, as my kids set personal goals for this semester today, I was so happy to see them writing things like, "I want to improve my reading level up to grade level," and things like, "I want to write an essay without mistakes." I really do truly love these kids. They make me proud. It's like the same kind of pride I feel over my own son.

The icing on the cake, at the end of my 12 hour day, was coming home to log on to the online classroom of my Honors class. It's like an extended classroom. There are forums for bringing up issues, helpful links, videos, and a chat. During 2nd period today, I suggested that anyone who wants to study for the test tomorrow log on to chat and pose potential test questions for each other. They chose 7pm. I logged on a 8:30. There were still 8 people on, and they were having an excellent discussion about why the Holocaust should still be taught in schools today.

Ah... this is why I do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment