The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Great day today!

I was so wishing that an administrator or someone would walk in during one of my classes today. Everything went so wonderfully! My students were writing their "Sponsor me to go to a Shakespeare play" letters, and they are putting so much effort into them. Some of the students wanted me to read their letters like every other paragraph. Some of these were kids who normally avoid me like the plague and hope I don't notice that they are doing nothing. I hope they can all raise the $50 each they need to go. It's funny... some of them have no clue who is an decent person to request a sponsorship from an who is not. One girl wanted to ask the manager at the local McDonald's to sponsor her. Too funny.

Then, in my Honors class, the students had a totally engaging discussion about Wordsworth's poetry, and I just watched and took notes. It wonderful...

During lunch, some of my students from last year came and brought me pizza and cake. It was one of their friends' birthday, so they brought me leftovers. Isn't that sweet?

My play production class had our first rehearsal today for Beauty and the Beast, which was a blast. I have such wonderful talented students. They are excellent singers and actors. I even got a great handful of new freshmen that I didn't know I was getting. One super tall kid seems like he is going to be very creative. I gave them a giant bag of cloth scraps and told them each to pick a piece and decide what fictional character they are and what the cloth is (i.e. "I am Aladdin and this is my magic carpet"). The tall kid gets this piece of white snowflake cloth and drapes it around him and says, "I am the Queen of Narnia and this is my gown!" Fun stuff!

Did I mention I love my job?

No comments:

Post a Comment