The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ah, finally.... DESSERT!

This has been a very long year and a very long semester. There has been so much work and so many challenges, and it has been very overwhelming. Even though this was my second year teaching full-time, and my third year teaching tenth grade, I feel like I had to do so much reinventing and trying new stuff this year.

Now, finally, we are at Shakespeare again. So far, I have ended every teaching year with Shakespeare, and it truly soothes my soul like a cup of hot tea on a cold day. I remember when I got to my Shakespeare unit last year, it just felt so good. There is nothing I love as much as Shakespeare. It is the Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake of teaching literature.

It just comes so naturally and so easy. I love talking about and they seem to love learning it. It has been a rough month, but as overwhelmed as I have felt lately, today just feels good. I just love teaching Shakespeare. The kids get so excited when they realize that Shakespeare is actually talking about (GASP).... sex! It is so exciting for me when they laugh at the jokes and get into the story.

Even MORE exciting- we are going to the play in two weeks. I am so excited for them to see it live. For so many of them, it will be their first experience with the magic that is live theater, and I get to be there for it. Oh yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment