The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cloth Diapers

I plan to use cloth diapers on our next child. When I mentioned the idea the first time, my dad brought up images of his mom dunking and swirling and said that he didn't think it would last. Having done my research, I have found that cloth diapers are much, much different now than when my dad remembers his mom using them on his baby sister. In fact, they are so different that I found myself just engaged in internet research for hours last night. Before I knew it, it was 1:30 in the morning!

There are so many choices, it is really hard to choose which diaper is best. There are the traditional prefolds (closest to what my dad remembers), which are the cheapest. Except people don't pin them anymore. They put diaper covers with velcro or snaps on over them to hold them on. Looks pretty easy. Plus, with today's washing machines, you don't have to dunk or swirl, just dump the poop. Then there are there are all-in-one diapers, which are basically just like disposable diapers, only you throw them in the washing machine. They are definitely the easiest to use. They look great, but they are really expensive, and a lot of mom reviews seem to suggest that the traditional prefolds are more absorbent. Plus, people say they take a long time to dry. Then there are pocket diapers, which are like all-in-ones, but the absorbent part is a liner that pulls out. Considering that you still have to wash the cover every time, I don't really see the point, other than that maybe they dry faster. There is so much more that I could explain, but I won't. I'm sure you would be bored.

Ultimately, I think I want some of both. I want some prefolds and covers, and I want some all-in-ones. I can't seem to find the all-in-ones I want any where that I can register at, but realistically, I will probably be better off buying them on eBay anyway. They are so expensive, and the good all-in-ones come in different sizes, so people do sell them when their kids outgrow them, so this is definitely the cost effective way to cloth diaper.

I know people have their criticisms about cloth diapering, and some people are probably going to think I am crazy, but I think it is the economically and environmentally responsible thing to do. The average baby uses like 10,000 diapers by the time he/she is potty trained. That is a lot of diapers to sit in a landfill. Plus, diapers cost about $1000-$1500 a year, depending on what you buy. No matter how much we spend on cloth diapers, it will be a savings. Plus, we can sell them on eBay when we are done with them. In addition, I don't like what disposable diapers have done to the potty training process, and I found myself wishing I had used cloth with Vinny. Disposables completely suck the moisture away, which is great- supposedly- but then when they are toddlers, they don't have any idea what it feels like to pee their pants and are totally happy in diapers. I don't think that is natural. I think kids should naturally get to a point of being uncomfortable in diapers, and that should be a motivation to want to get out of diapers. The quicker they are out of diapers, the better!

Okay, well, there is my rant on that.

1 comment:

  1. If I could afford it I'd be using the G-Diapers. But they are insanely expensive. I mean you can get the covers and you only need like five of them (from what I was reading from other women who have used them you don't have to wash them except once a week unless there's a blow out) and then just buy the insides to them. But the insides of them are a lot of money so it seems kind of stupid, yeah I'd be saving the earth, but not money, and money is my issue. I would do cloth diapering in general if I wasn't so damn lazy. LOL!

    If you are a sewer and make things on your own, you might want to go ahead and make your own cloth diapers. Apparently you can make the preshaped ones for like 2 dollars if you have coupons (and I have tons of coupons if you want to borrow some). Plus you can "build in" the plastic cover.

    On a side note since we're talking about saving money and the earth, I also made the bedding for the baby and her burp cloths and going home outfit so I'd suggest that too. I mean I spent 50 bucks on fabric and got all the junk you need for a crib, and now have 3 yards left over so I might make myself a breastfeeding cover and a dress for Kaylee to wear when the baby comes home and we can take pictures.

    ReplyDelete