The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Monday, April 19, 2010

It has been overwhelming

I am so overwhelmed right now. Beauty and the Beast opens in less than three weeks. 10 week grades are due in a week. I actually don't have millions of papers to grade right now like I usually do, but lately, even one stack feels terribly overwhelming.

I hold my kids to a higher standard than average schools. I don't really let them get away with not turning in assignments... but that means a lot of hunting them down and dealing out discipline, which I honestly don't like to do; I just like the result.

Today was such a Monday. I got to work like 30 minutes early to make copies of the test I was giving today, but I still had to wait like crazy, and by the time it was my turn, of course the machine was jamming to all heck. It seriously would not even suck a single page without getting stuck. Not just a little stuck either... like stick your hand in the machine and wriggle out crunched pieces of paper sandwiched between gears. Ugh. The bell rang while I was down there and I had to send the Chinese teacher up to watch my English class while I finished the copies.

Most of my kids actually passed the test though, which is a good thing, but of course they had a project today that was due and a bunch of them didn't turn it in,
so tomorrow is missing paper hunting day. Ugh.

And so... I need a break. We are going a cruise in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment