The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Funny

Did you know funny changes over time? Not even a lot of time really. I bought the first season of SNL on DVD. (One of many things I bought with a Target gift card I received for my birthday- thank you friends). I thought, "Man this has got to be great! Chevy Chase, Dan Akroyd, John Belushi... this is gonna be GOOD." Plus, the guests- George Carlin, Paul Simon (worth the purchase for this alone, I must say), Randy Newman, Carly Simon, and more. I will say that it is funny to watch, but it is funny more because of time than because of comedy. Apparently, comedy really changes over time. Some of it was funny (particularly Andy Kaufman), but some of it was just... wow. There was this sketch about The Blaine Hotel killer, and the sketch really wasn't funny. I didn't even understand why it was supposed to be. We did thoroughly enjoy listening to jokes about President Gerald Ford, which was just funny because, well, seriously... Ford? Has it really been that long? There was another sketch about husband insurance,  like to replace your husband with another one, and it was kind of funny, but just felt weird. And the other thing that was strange is apparently, they didn't work the live audience then (even though they had one), because there was no background laughter. It was weird. I wonder when they started doing that for comedy.  You can also tell how time shapes jokes in other ways too. Like things were simpler back then that people could laugh at things that they can't any more. Like George Carlin was doing jokes about airport security and how they make sure you are "clean," but then give you a fork and knife to eat your meal with, and all the wine you can drink. Plus, then he makes a joke about taking over a plane with a sheet of paper, threatening to paper cut the stewardess to death. Yeah... time has certainly made jokes about taking over a plane not generally funny any more.

It was really interesting to think about how much simpler life was then, and how much simplicity has died over the years. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Yesterday, I was watching a documentary on the musical Hair with my dad (in preparation to see it at the Pantages. Yea! Happy Birthday to me!), and it ended with talking about how the Hair tribe fell apart as free love fell apart... with AIDS. They showed the pictures and names and dates of every Hair cast member that died of AIDS. It was so sad. There was also a part where the actor who played Woof touring the show was talking about how they started to receive death threats from militant groups, so he decided to leave his wife and baby at the hotel that night just to be safe, only to find out mid-show that an arsonist had set the hotel on fire and his wife and baby died. How terribly awful is that? What is wrong with people?

Anyhow, not to be totally depressing, that was just what was on my mind.

In other news, I dyed my hair yesterday, but it didn't turn out so great. (No, I am not posting pictures of it. Gonna fix it first). I wanted to go blonde, but like a dirty blonde, kind of like this look on Drew Barrymore (right). That's not what I got though. The colors are really inconsistent. Some of it is really light, but a little bit of it is kind of orange.  I kind of have the Miley Cyrus look (left). She also didn't get close enough down to the roots at all, so it already looks like I need my roots done, particularly if I pull my hair up at all, even like just part up in the front. Plus, she kind of did that weird two tone thing, where it is darker underneath in the back. I am not certain if she did it intentionally (even though it is not what I asked for), but I think she did, because she even cut my hair in layers, which totally accentuates it, and I specifically told her I didn't want layers. I like it even. It looks very much like this:

This is not a terrible look. I get that it is very fashionable right now, but it is not what I wanted. In fact, I've even commented to friends and family before on how stupid I think this style generally looks. I call it the skunk. My best friend Mo confirmed, "Yup, you got skunked." Overall, it looks okay right now if I wear it down, but it is totally not what I want. Thank God, I found a friend who is going to try to fix it for me on Monday, so I only have to walk around like this for a couple of days. I've heard it is easier to fix blonde gone wrong than to go back dark, so that's what I'm gonna do.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment