The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

HAIR

I saw HAIR this weekend weekend. It rocked my world. I saw it once before when they did it at the Simi Cultural Arts Center, but this was the Broadway touring cast, and they were AMAZING. Seriously, amazing. I would kind of give anything to go see it again... and again... and again. They made the cast part of the show and we felt like part of the tribe. It was this beautiful reminder that there is a community of people out there who still share my beliefs in life and love and community above all else... that killing is wrong... that people are too judgmental... but that good people exist. Ah.... the hippie movement may have died with the drug addictions and AIDS that ended the feel-good era, but I believe they started something that will never die.

I encourage you all to see the show, it is worth it. See the commercial:


The only bittersweet part of this...  #7 on my buried list. Be in Hair. I would give anything to be a part of the Hair tribe for just one show. I have very few regrets in life, but I will tell you what I do regret. My second to last semester at CSUN, they were doing HAIR, and I wanted to audition, but I found out I was pregnant right before the auditions and decided not to audition. The show would have been when I was 6 months pregnant. I should have just auditioned. One of the main characters actually IS pregnant, and there certainly could have been a pregnant tribe member, but I just went through this stage of "my life is over" when I found out I was pregnant and let it really destroy my perspective towards life for several months. I had a relatively flexible schedule at that time (at least more than I do now with two kids), and I should have auditioned.  I think I would have got a role just because of my sheer passion for all things Hair.

But, in the words of my other favorite musical, "forget regrets, or life is yours to miss." I must now just hope and pray that someday I get the opportunity again. Well, either that or convince my dad to produce and direct it someday. It will have to be a while from now though, because I am sure rights will not be available until the national tour is over.  Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment