The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Savings and Sickies

Vinny is sick.  :-( 

His preschool teacher told Marc he is not the only one in the class, apparently there are several of them,  so I guess there was just a little cold going around his class. He wasted the rest of the box of tissues last night by using like 3 at a time to wipe his nose once, and I don't like to buy tissues (waste of money- soft as they are, they are still just overpriced t.p.), so I did the much more eco-friendly thing and gave him a handkerchief today. Good decision. He has been carrying it around with him and wiping his nose, so I don't have to hear him yell, "Tissue! Tissue!" every 5 seconds, and it still is not completely gross yet. I think it is softer on his nose too. I forced him to take a nap today, which was not an easy feat. I had to convince him that all sick people need three things- drinks, berry flavored medicine, and sleep. He added that they also need soup (an idea contrived from an episodes of Blue's Clues called "Sniffles"), and argued that soup could replace sleep. I disagreed. I am mom, so I won. We compromised though... I let him sleep on the couch bed in his room instead of in his bed. We spent the rest of the day watching movies. For some reason, he's been in to cheesy 80s movies. If I have to watch 3 Ninjas or The Karate Kid again, I am going to scream.

I spent my day being the queen of savings both online and in real stores. Exciting. I love great deals. It felt great today to use my 20% off coupon and my $25 in Rewards Dollars to buy a $50 toy box from Babies R Us for less than half. Yup, that was exciting. I also discovered Amazon Prime. Woo hoo! Doing well on the goal of financial stability this year. I have been thinking about saving money with literally every purchase I make, and doing really, really well. We even saved $21 on dinner in Hollywood before the show last weekend. Go me.

Tiana did her fair share of making Marc miserable while I was out shopping though. I think she may be teething, as early as it is. She has been pretty good lately, but she just gets so cranky all of a sudden. It would make life so much easier on all of us if we could put her down some of the time, like maybe while she's sleeping... yeah, that'd be nice.

In other news.... some updates on my goals for 2011. I have yet to actually exercise consistently. Things just keep getting in the way. I have yet to cross anything off my buried list, but I have a lot of ideas and some solid plans. It is going to happen this year. I did pretty well on last year's goal though- we ate at home 5 nights in a row this week. Let's see if I can keep it up when I go back to work in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment