The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I almost cannot watch any more of the 9/11 remembrance coverage. Like everyone else, I will never, ever, ever forget that day. I will never forget standing in front of the tv for so long, because I could not find it in myself to sit. I will not forget clasping my hands over my mouth, gaping in horror, as I watched the first tower collapse. Words did not need to be spoken. My mom and I sat in silence with the horrible sinking realization that we had just watched thousands of people die. I will never forget the flags that blanketed our country in the weeks to follow.

And I will not forget that life continues. Love continues.

Just a few days later, September 16, 2001, I noticed Marc out of the corner of my eye in the foyer of our church. I whispered to a friend, "Oh my gosh! I had the hugest crush on that guy in high school. I doubt he remembers me."   I was wrong. He remembered.

Marc and I connected on such a deep level so instantly. We had the same dreams. Dreams of making a difference. Dreams of changing the world.

A week later, the two of us knelt on the ground together at a hard core rock concert, along with a bunch of other people you'd never expect to see kneeling and crying. Marc had invited me to see this band we loved at the time, Stavesacre, and they decided to do a tribute song. Gold and Silver. And everyone kneeled with them. And everyone cried.


Helpless for the words, and it tightens up the air
It's not what you deserve, it's not for lack of care
Inside of me is screaming out, I'm praying for my prayers
Distracting and unworthy of each and every burning tear
Seems insincere
Do I see God in all of this, maybe all along
It's just that we're so small, and simply not as strong
Strong like wings of silver, and feathers made of gold
To carry heavy hearts, to cover all our helpless souls
To cover all of us
Under wings of Gold and Silver sometimes we have to hide
For shelter from this bitter winter at least tonight

Bitter winters end. Two years later, we were married. And life went on, and here we are, trying our hardest to live our dreams. We have such an amazing, amazing life. Our country may never be the same, this is true, but life has gone on, and our country is an amazing place. It is full of amazing people that make me so proud to be an American. 

Great people like my husband, who honestly seems to like everyone and hate no one.  Like my colleagues, people I am blessed to work with, who work hard every day to make a difference in the world.  People of all different nationalities and backgrounds, who work tirelessly every day to teach the leaders of tomorrow to be global leaders who will change the world. Because they are building 5 new towers at the World Trade Center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment