The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

What do you say?

Vinny walked in to the living room as I was watching a special about 9/11. He asked a lot of questions. He saw the video of the second plane hitting the tower. I didn't really know what to say. So I told him the truth.
      "It's a plane. It hit that building."
     "Why? The pilot didn't see it?"
     "No, it was a bad guy, he did it on purpose. It happened a long time ago, before you were born. It was very, very sad. We all cried a lot."
     "Why did the bad guy want to hit that building?"
     "Because he didn't like America."
     "Is that bad guy real Mommy?"
     "Yes, he was real. But he died."
     "Are there bad guys in America, Mommy?"

What do you say to that?  I'm a fan of telling the truth, so again, I did.

     "Vinny, there are lots and lots of brave men and women who work hard every day to make sure the bad guys are not here ever again."

      "Are they our neighbors, Mommy?"

      "Well... yes, I guess they are."

Here's to all the brave men and women who risk their lives every day so that I can tell my son the truth that people are looking out for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment