The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Making Good Use

So pretty much the crappiest thing that can happen to a nursing mother happened to me today. Yesterday, one of my drama kids unplugged my refrigerator to plug in the microwave and forgot to plug the refrigerator back in. There was some condensation from the freezer defrosting, but other than that I didn't really notice that it wasn't that cold this morning. I noticed when I went to get my milk OUT of it this afternoon and realized that the fridge was completely warm, which meant that my milk had been unrefridgerated all day. I had to pour it out. So, so, so sad. At least I have some in the freezer, but seriously... what a WASTE. So, so, so sad about that.

I have so much going on at school right now and so many responsibilities and various things going on, but I am really trying to make good on my goal to gain some balance between home and school this year. I stayed afterschool today trying to get my lesson plans for tomorrow prepared, and I pretty much finished; I just didn't have time to photocopy the handout. I would normally just do it in the morning, but now I have to bring Tiana in the morning, and her daycare opens at 7, which puts me at school right as the passing bell is ringing, so it is going to be a hectic morning. Plus, I didn't leave campus until 5:30, which meant I was racing with the clock to get to daycare by 6:00pm. At least I would have been able to declare myself free from school work this evening, if it weren't for BTSA that is. Ah BTSA... how I hate you. I am so close to being done, but I have like 4-5 pages to get done tonight. (It is all due on Thursday).

Last night was rough. I was SO tired  at like 10:00pm, and then Tiana didn't sleep well at all. She was up off and on all night. It was exhausting and I woke up totally not at all feeling rested. I need a better night tonight. Hopefully she cooperates.

I have been trying desperately to get on top of things financially this year and pay off our debts, even in spite of putting out about $1000 a month for childcare. I believe we are going to be able to do it, but it has taken some sacrifices and changes in the way that we live. Instead of shopping at Trader Joe's for mainly organic foods (although I am quite the bargain shopper in planning), we decided to go even cheaper and buy a food box from AngelFood, a Christian food co-op. At first, I was afraid it would be crappy quality or old, but it is not. You can tell it was just all purchased in bulk and then separated into individual boxes. Hey, whatever... works  for me. I am determined to stretch the $31 box as far as possible, which means trying to really use everything in the box. That meant figuring out something to do with the bone-in chicken... and with the 1 pound bag of dried northern white beans. I ended up giving in and deboning the chicken and making a white bean and chicken chili in the crock pot. It was actually pretty good. I was impressed. I am starting to understand what my great-grandmother went through in the Great Depression... nothing goes to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment