The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, February 11, 2011

What a Week!

Whew! What a week! 

I worked really hard this week at starting to balance my time at work and home by not bringing papers home during the week and doing a minimal amount of emailing and whatnot for school in the evenings. I even forced myself to leave early on Wednesday and Thursday, so I got to Tiana at 5:00 on Wednesday and 5:30 on Thursday. Today was not so luck though. We had auditions for the Spring show this week. It is a night of social justice one acts. I have enlisted student directors for each play. Today, we met to decide the cast of each show. Oh my gosh was that hard! Casting a show is normally hard for me (I hate disappointing people, which makes the casting element of teaching drama very difficult), but this was an entirely different role. I basically played the mediator and adviser between the 3 directors. The best actors were wanted by everyone, of course, so it was hard to choose who fit where. The funny thing was, there was one very tough battle where two directors both wanted the same guy for their leading male role. The amusing part is... this student wrote on his audition form that he only wanted a small part! But then he came in for his audition and blew us all away with how great he was! It took an hour and a half, but we got it done.

Drama keeps me SO, SO busy. Managing the financial aspect of it alone is hard. We deal in cash only- our school doesn't have a booster club- so I have to collect cash from fundraisers and ticket sales, store it in a safe, and take out the portions I need when I need to pay bills or buy something for drama. The hard part is keeping it out of my bank account. I don't want it to ever look like personal income if I get audited, so I buy cashier checks every time I need to pay a bill and pre-paid credit cards when I need to buy something online. It is a challenge to say the least.

Unfortunately, deciding to just not take home work all week has its repercussions... like a ton of work to do this weekend. When I looked at my to-do list at the end of the day today, there were more things still to do than crossed off, and most of them are needed to be ready for next week,  so work came home today. At least I have the whole weekend.

My cutie boys are cuddled up together on the couch next to me fast asleep. Vinny is totally spooning with Marc. SO adorable.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment