The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Thoughts

It has been an interesting few days. I was a little bitter about not going on the trip at first, but I am getting over it.  If I wouldn't have been here, I would have missed Tiana's little inch worm crawl. Its so cute. One could hardly call it really crawling, since she barely gets her tummy off the ground, but she gets from point a to point b, that's for sure. She just scrunches up her little butt, reaches her arms out, and flings herself forward, face first. It is so cute. She totally looks like a little caterpillar. This is all suddenly going so fast, it really feels like my little caterpillar is going to become a butterfly and flutter away in a matter of days.

The highlight of my week was finding out that my book project funded! I am going to create a bookstore experience in my classroom for my students! They are going to get to shop for books to keep. Books that they really want, that are brand new, that no one has owned before. That's really, really cool. I am so excited.

The leadership unit that I am doing with my honors students is getting to me too. There is a line in one of the chapters that is convicting me lately. It's sort of an old proverb of sorts, but it sticks. It says, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." It is so true and something I want very much to focus on more this semester. It is easy to show the more outgoing students that I care, but I often leave the more quiet students by the wayside. I am going to try really hard to show them I care too... because I really do.

I just wish everything in my life wasn't so darn busy. There is so much I would do if I had more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment