The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Everything coming together, at least at home...

Over the past few weeks, I've been going through mommy panic mode that I just didn't really feel ready for a baby, at least as far as my house. This weekend, it all came together.

First Saturday morning, God totally smiled upon me as I happened to drive past a garage sale (while not at all out looking) that had a bassinet! It is a beautiful white and green one, and she only wanted $15! Score! Then, best of all, my baby shower was this weekend. It was a wonderful time.

Even though I was much further along at this shower than I was when I had Vinny's shower, I felt great, and I think I even looked better than last time.   ;-)


I got a lot of wonderful stuff, plus the gift that is always just what you need- gift cards and money! Today, we went shopping and got everything else we really needed. Well, almost. I have to cash a check I got to go get the car seat we want, and I am also hoping to locate another 20% off coupon for Babies R Us before purchasing it.

Ideally, there are still a few other things that we had hoped to get- I currently have only one bottle (but those are cheap and I plan to breastfeed mainly anyway) and I never ended up getting a swing, but we can always look for that second hand. I also really, really want to get a nice umbrella stroller, because with Vinny we ended up using it all the time and the one we have is really cheap and really a pain to push around. However, it will be a while before she is big enough to put in an umbrella stroller, so there is time to save, and Christmas is just around the corner.

While I was at the shower this weekend, a good friend of Marc's who is artistic came over and painted a beautiful mural on Tiana's wall. It is exactly what I was looking for to make the room feel complete, and it is just so unique and creative. It feels like home, and it is the symbol to me of how far we have come in the past 4 years. This is what makes the difference between apartment living and having a home. Seriously though.  

When Vinny was born, his "nursery" was a corner of our bedroom, because we only had a one bedroom apartment in a bad part of town. At the time, it didn't seem to matter, because the three of us were going to be a family, and this was us, making space.

Now, Vinny has his own beautiful, big boy room, and this will be Tiana's room:





It is funny to think about, out of all the things that I would want and love to have, what I really want most of all now, is this recliner we saw of Babies R Us the other night. We were there updating our registry one night, and I just sat down in this chair thinking about how the color would totally match the nursery, and then I just somehow decided I must have it. However... I don't have $400, and I don't anticipate being able to get over the guilt of spending  $400 on a chair. Really. It is just so comfortable though, and would fit so perfectly in the corner of her room. I can just imagine nursing her half asleep in this chair and not even caring that it is 3 a.m. That is how comfortable this chair is.
Anyone have $400 laying around and want to buy me this chair?

Now, if only I felt as ready with school as I do at home. I am so, so, so not ready to hand off my classes. I just need a day to spend getting ready. Part of me is thinking about having my sub come in for a day before I go to just give me a release day to spend making copies and finishing lesson plans so that I have really prepared stuff to hand him. Now, the funny thing is, if it was me teaching this semester, I would consider myself WAY ahead of the game, but everything I have "ready to go" is very much put in simple terms that is mostly my shorthand for the lessons that are really in my head. I need to get from my head to paper very, very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment