The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

We are nearing the end of our 2nd week of the school year. A bit of interesting info. My blog would be more appropriately named 150 kids now, since I currently have 148 students on my rosters who are "my kids" to me (+ Vinny and soon Tiana would be 150). This is literally counting the kids, not specifically students enrolled in my classes, since I actually have several students who are enrolled in more than one in class of mine (example- English and Drama).

And I still see my old kids around a lot too. It is a small school, and it is nice that I get to keep relationships with these kids. My first class that I taught for 10th grade English is now the senior class. It is crazy to me to think that they are all graduating this year. I love those kids.


That said... I am really exhausted now. I am fine during the day; half the time I forget I am pregnant. It is absolutely wonderful that my room has its own bathroom and makes my life a million times easier. I love my job and have so much to do all the time that it really keeps my mind off the whole tired and pregnant thing. But then I go home at the end of the day, and the list of things that still need to get done is still there like it is every day of every school year, but it is just SO much harder to get done than it has ever been before. Plus, I get home and think about doing things like laundry or cooking dinner and I am so spent from giving all my energy to my students all day that I can just barely bring myself to get up the energy to do it.

Just a few more weeks. That is both terrifying and relieving all at the same time. It is terrifying because I am not at all ready. I don't mean that I am not ready for the baby- I can totally handle that part- it is handing my other kids over to a sub that I am wholly unprepared to do at this moment. Yet, I am relieved that it is coming soon and I will have some time with my newly expanded family and double the joy of wonderful little people that are part me. :-)

Our news story was on today! I was so excited. As you all know, I love my students like my own kids in a lot of ways, so seeing them on tv is like seeing your own child on tv! I hate how I look in the clip, but I am really proud of the kids and how they really did a good job of representing what our school is really about. What I love most about my kids is that this one kid that I nominated is really just symbolic of the heart of so many of our kids and our school in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment