The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Vinny is the sunshine of my life

He is sleeping peacefully on the couch next to me and he makes me so happy. I love hearing him sigh in his sleep.

I have been worried about him getting connected in his new school, since he has changed so much and it has seemed to take him a really long time to learn names, but this weekend he asked if his friend Joey from school could come over our house. This is a good sign. According to Marc, Joey is actually over a year older than Vinny and is one of those kids whose parents are holding him back from kindergarten for a year. While I am not terribly fond of Vinny having friends so much older than him, at least he has friends. I should probably go ahead and try to set up for Vinny to have a little playdate.

He is such an awesome kid. He has suddenly decided he needs privacy to get dressed and has taken to shutting the door in his room while he picks out and puts on his clothes in the morning. This meant that he went around with his underwear on backwards for half the day yesterday (I noticed when he was having trouble in the bathroom all morning) and his socks on inside out the entire day, but I'd rather celebrate his success at independence than focus on the mistakes. Today, however, he did come show me in the morning that he had his socks on the right way. Although I never mentioned the socks, I guess he had noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment