The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Back to Work

Today was my first official day back to work. I say official because I have been doing much work from home, going to school to attend all the department meetings and other meetings, and even working Saturday school, my entire maternity leave, but today I got paid for it. However, I didn't teach today either. I went for a paid day of professional development that was very productive. I let my sub wrap up my unit and was able to get on the same page as him and say goodbye. I will have my classes back on Monday.

It was very hard to leave my baby girl this morning. She woke up in a wonderful mood. I left her laughing and giggling and cooing and smiling. It felt good and bad all at the same time. I was glad she was happy, but sad I had to leave that pleasant little baby. The very thought of spending the entire day away from her made me sick to my stomach.

But it was a good day. I missed my friends. I forgot how much I missed being a professional and interacting with people on a professional level. I actually even enjoyed debating about different definitions of the word theme. (KSho, if you are reading this, I love you!) :-)

I saw a lot of the students and they all seemed happy to have me back. I asked my drama kids how rehearsals have been going and how they feel about the show in general. They said good, but commented that a lot of students have ditched rehearsals. Someone said, "Its different.  Mr. Medway doesn't yell at everyone about the importance of coming to rehearsal." I laughed and commented, "Well, not everyone can be as mean as me. Its a gift." The student looked embarrassed and said, "Oh, I meant it in a good way miss." I smiled. "I know," I replied, then I wished them all a Happy Thanksgiving and told them all I'd see them Monday. I can't wait to get back to the usual routine, and I can't wait to see what my awesome drama kids have accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment