The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Sleepover Party?

Vinny likes to sleep over Hannah's
Vinny has been begging me- literally begging- for months and months now, to let him have a sleepover with his friends. He keeps asking if he can have his friends sleepover. He's had his friend Landon spend the night before and had sleepovers with his cousin Hannah, but he wants his other friends to sleep over.


Personally, I kind of feel like 4 is a little young for a sleepover. I would only let Vinny go to a sleepover if I knew the parents really well. I do know the parents of most of his friends, but I don't know how their kids would do with a sleepover. I mean, I think even Vinny would get a little scared or sad in the middle of the night. He sometimes acts strange when he spends the night over his grandparents' houses. When he spent the night at my cousin's house without me, he woke up in the middle of the night crying. I think this is pretty normal though, so I imagine it would happen to other kids if they spent the night.

I mean, I think I remember one of the first times I spent the night over a friend's house just for fun, it was in first grade, and she lived down the street from me. I cried in the middle of the night and made her mom call my mom to come pick me up. I don't remember why, but I do remember that I didn't make it through the night. I think it is because I was never that comfortable there, because if I remember correctly, I had done okay with other sleepovers.

But he just keeps asking, and it makes me wonder. Should I go for it? Should I let him plan a small slumber party for just a few close boy friends? (He has already been informed "no sleepovers with girl friends until your married"). Should I maybe just plan a late night party for his friends and their parents and let the kids put on their jammies and watch a movie while the adults hang out? I mean, they'd probably all fall asleep, but then their moms and dads could bring them home.

Parents... what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Just knowing how my kid is at night I would probably start with a movie party or something first to see how they do. Sean is great at night but he stays up later than most kids, and he tends to wake up around 3 or 4 in the morning. other kids also go to bed at different times, and some are very into their routine, still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard. Kaylee is different and has to be monitored at night so I wouldn't allow her to until she could test her own blood and dose out her medication herself. And then her sleep habits are so picky. She sleeps fine with people and at homes she knows but hotels and such she requires help.

    I'd start with a night time movie and then perhaps invite everyone back over for breakfast. That way it seems like a sleepover but really isn't.

    ReplyDelete