The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Prom

Last night, I went to our school's prom. as a chaperone sort of, but more just to see mu kids all dressed up and have dinner with my co-workers. I brought Marc as my date. It was fun. :-)

The kids were so cute all dressed up. It was kind of funny... there were some dresses that were just classic styles, ones that you could have seen at my prom, and then there were some dresses that were just... well, interesting. One girl had so many huge ruffles up and down her back and shirt, I swear, she looked like a cockatiel. A few other girls had such short dresses I was surprised that their mother's let them leave the house like that. One of my sophomores was invited by a senior, and she came in jeans! Seriously, jeans! And I really thought my "how to dress for the occasion" lecture got through to them, but apparently not, because there she was in jeans with a fancy tank top and heels. Why she thought that was appropriate is beyond me. I mean, I was a tomboy in school too, but even I wore a dress to my prom.

Nonetheless, most of my kids looked amazing, and it was so cute watching them dance and have a good time, even if they were dances I didn't know in a language I didn't understand. It was cute. It's kind of fun watching your kids celebrate a night that they will remember forever, ya know?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment