The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Before I became a parent, I never knew...

  • that getting up to feed a newborn in the middle of the night actually keeps you up for like an hour.
  • that watching my child open presents on Christmas morning would be an even better feeling that Christmas morning when I was a child.
  • I would always actively be on the hunt for new things that my child will find exciting.
  • how disappointed I would be when he didn't find those new things exciting.
  • about the amazing natural high that you get when your child does actually find them as exciting (or more) as you imagined.
  • that adult conversation would actually need to be scheduled.
  • how meaningful and recharging a few hours of uninterrupted adult conversation can truly be.
  • that I would honestly rather buy my child a gift than get something for myself.
  • that my child would end up exactly like me... and nothing like me... all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment