The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

What a productive week...

... and starting on a productive weekend!

While the garage is admittedly not finished yet, it is SO close.

I also got my petunia picklebottom diaper bag clean, which I didn't know if I would be able to do. It was so dirty and disgusting, but I really want to be able to use it again with Tiana. It says "dry clean only," but when I brought it to the dry cleaner, he looked at me and said, "Dry cleaning is not the way to go on this." So... if any of you need to know how to clean a petunia picklebottom bag... I followed his recommendations and soaked it in very hot water and oxyclean then rinsed it by hand, scrubbing the grosser parts with a sponge, then I dried it outside in the sun. I machine washed the detachable bags and straps and sun dried those, and seriously... despite the slightly worn corners, it looks as good as new. I was a little nervous when I dumped the hot water, as it was totally tinted purple, but the bag does not appear to be any lighter in shade, and I am very excited.

I also cleaned the rug that was in Vinny's room. Also was kind of a lot of work, but it too is now drying in the sun, and no longer smells disgusting. Fantastic.

After a quick trip to the farmers market this morning, we began on the rest of the weekend projects. Today's project was the removal of the wallpaper border in the spare room and now we are getting ready to move on to actually painting. Purple and blue for Tiana. I'm very excited to get it done. (I admit, I bribed my uncle to come help, but hey... it is getting done). When it is done, I found an artistic friend of ours who is going to come paint a neat tree mural on one wall. It will be beautiful. :-)

Tomorrow's will be a fun holiday, and then Monday's project... mow the lawn and finish the garage.... and maybe finish the two end tables that we have been in the process of refinishing for weeks.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment