The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

I can do this. Keep telling myself this.

I am so, so tired. Today was a long day of meetings, meetings, meetings. It sucks to be the one person who runs out to pee every 5 seconds. By the time I got back to my room to start unpacking my boxes at 5:00 p.m., I was way exhausted. I don't think I drank enough water today, because the braxton hicks contractions I was having were getting kind of intense. They still weren't really painful or consistent, so I wasn't worried, just way uncomfortable.

My son is obviously enjoying his new school, and I think actually learning a lot too. It is Hawaiian Week at school, and today they had a luau for lunch, but I guess they learned too. Today, they learned about volcanos. Vinny came home from school talking all about them. He informed me that volcanos make fire and smoke go everywhere, but not really everywhere, because not all over them, and that there aren't a lot of them in the world, only a few, and that they have them in Hawaii. He was so cute. In the bathtub, he made a volcano out of the bubbles and kept pouring water yelling, "hot lava!"  :-)

In good news, when I left yesterday, I felt like I had everything I needed except a garment rack (for costumes), a bookcase, and a mini fridge (I had a fridge last year, but it bit the dust towards the end of the year- whatever, it was cheap). Today, another teacher was getting rid of bookshelves so I got one of hers. Woo hoo! It is a perfect fit! I had the opportunity to tell an important administrator that I absolutely love the new room and could just use a garment rack and she looked at my boss and said, "Order her one." That was nice. Now for the mini fridge...

No comments:

Post a Comment