The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Monday, May 30, 2011

#40 See Cirque du Soliel "Love"

I wish I could back date this post to April, but blogger doesn't work that way. I realized that I crossed an item off my buried list and forgot to blog about it, so I am doing it now, even if it is 6 weeks later!

In April this year, Marc and I went to Vegas and saw Love. It was AMAZING. You know when you really build something up in your head as being really cool... and then you kind of fear it isn't going to be as cool as you expected?  I was afraid that might happen with this. Fortunately, I was SO wrong.

So, we planned a one night stay, but decided to make it the true buried list experience and actually stay at the hotel where the show is, The Mirage.

We got there around noon and ate lunch at their amazing buffet. If you know me well, you know that this is truly a compliment coming from me, because I do not like buffets. I feel like they usually get away with serving cafeteria quality food at gourmet prices, yet they get away with it, just because of the "all you can eat" aspect and the variety presented, but to me, cafeteria food is cafeteria food, and I don't eat that much, so the cost is usually far more than I feel is worth what I eat. However, the one at the Mirage was actually quite good. It is divided into little restaurants with different types of cuisine. While half of it was fish (I don't like fish), the other half was very, very tasty and all very fresh (that's my other problem with buffets- why do we pay twice as much to eat food that has been sitting out?), plus it was only $18 for lunch, which was actually worth it. Great desserts too.

Anyway... then we stopped by the box office to pick up our tickets to the show and dinner vouchers before heading out to the pool for the afternoon.
Amazing pool.... wonderfully warm day. This is the stuff I dream about....


Finally, we got all gussied up and went to dinner. We paid for a show package that included dinner at one of the nicer restaurants at The Mirage, Kokomo. It was very good. Honestly, had we paid the prices on the menu, it would not have been worth it, but for the price we paid in the package, it was. My delicious chicken meal.... (yes, I am that person, I take pictures of food when it is presented well)

Then.... the show. I obviously could not take pictures of that part, but it would not have done it justice anyhow. The show was like nothing else I have ever experienced in my entire theater-going history. It was all the best of The Beatles music, mixed in with little sound bits of them in the studio, which was the backdrop for this showcase of amazing dance, acrobatics, and acting, with phenomenal special effects that genuinely made me feel like I was high as a kite. I don't know how they did it, but... it was the closest I have ever felt to being on drugs while sober (yes, sober, I only had one glass of wine at dinner, so I am not exaggerating a drunken experience, I promise). If you have not seen this show yet, you must, at least if you are a Beatles fan. It is completely worth the high price tag.

I hope the rest of my buried list experiences are this exciting.....
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment