The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Baby Proofing

Tiana is crawling, pulling up on furniture, starting to cruise along it, and probably just weeks (at most) from walking. She is into EVERYTHING.  This has felt very stressful, and with our living room, I felt like she had no place to be, so I got put the coffee table in storage like we did when Vinny was a baby. However, when Vinny was a baby, we had a small condo, and there was not as much to block off.  When we moved into this house, Vinny was already big enough that we were not thinking at all about baby proofing.

I keep looking at it and trying to come up with solutions. The removal of the coffee table has given her lots of space to crawl around without me worrying about her hitting her head, but she is still finding a million things to be into, and I don't really know what the solution is. 

We have this situation here:

On the left is the entertainment center, which has cords and plugs that she keeps trying to pull on and she also tries to press all the buttons. On the right is an end table that hides the kitty litter. Because it is the one place I want her the least, it is the place she is attracted to the most. 

Then there is this corner: 


Behind that papasan is the bookshelf with CDs and DVDs and a small shelf with our printer on it. It is also where we have a surge protector with all the electronics plugged in (the printer, camera chargers, phone charger, etc.)

I want to just have this one baby proofed room, but I just don't know how to get it there. There are not good places to put gates. I have toyed with the idea of one of those super play yards, but everyone I know has said that they don't want to be in them once they start walking, and she could be just days away from walking, so I don't want to do that. I need to have this room just altogether baby safe. 

Ugh... suggestions?  Ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment