The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Life as we know it in my family...

.... is changing.  We are completely revamping the way we eat.

Marc has some health problems. To those of you who have been praying, thank you. We are starting to get some answers. Without going in to great detail... while we don't 100% for sure no exactly what is causing the issues yet, we do know it has something to do with his liver, and that it is of great urgency that he completely change his diet to eat less than 1500 calories a day and lose at least 10% of his body weight asap.

It has been a bit hard. Marc goes up and down. Sometimes he is in great spirits and feeling inspired to keep up with the calorie tracking and exercise to "earn back" any calories he went over each day. Other times I can tell he gets bummed when he realizes how much one little slip up sets him back. I think because this isn't just a regular, "I want to lose some weight" diet, but a "I need to lose weight to stay alive" diet, that might be permanent, it is a little harder for him to come to terms with. I can see that. I feel bad for him.  I think it will be good for me too, as long as I can stop splurging when he is not around.

Today I worked my butt off trying to catch up on household chores. I literally spent 4 hours just doing laundry. And it is not even all done. I stopped the massive laundry marathon at 4:30 so I could get ready to go out. It was a Mom's Night Out with my playgroup. Sounds funny to call it a "playgroup" considering that my kids haven't really had much a chance to play with most of their kids yet, but they will... and I will...  They are some really awesome girls who I want to get to know better.

Missed some of the girls tonight though. Heather, Priscilla, wasn't the same without you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment