The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

God's Way of Slowing Me Down?

When it rains it pours, right?

Yesterday was an okay day... but a crappy evening and night. Vinny got sick at school around 5. Marc picked him up and was coming home with him, pulling out of the parking lot, waiting to turn right, when a guy on a bicycle, not wearing a helmet, going the wrong direction in the bike lane, hit Marc. Yes... I know, how odd, right? Totally weird. It was totally the biker's fault, but the law never places blame on the pedestrian, so that sucks. The guy was okay, but we are probably going to have to pay to fix his bike and we are definitely going to have to pay to fix Marc's car. The whole incident of course freaked Vinny out too, which sucked since he already was not feeling well.

Since Vinny had a fever when he left school yesterday and was throwing up, he is staying home today, even though he woke up this morning and declared, "I'm all better!" Since I didn't know if he would be throwing up or not, and I didn't want to leave a babysitter stuck cleaning up throw up (that really is a job only a mother should have to do), I decided I would need to just write up a sub plan and stay home. As much as I feel bad that he was sick, it is probably a blessing in disguise. I have been staying up past 1a.m. every night trying to get BTSA done, and at least today I kind of got to sleep in. Plus, when Vinny woke up, he was certainly better too, which was another pleasant surprise.  He is talking my ear off today. I feel bad for him because he just feels like he is better and doesn't see the need to take it easy today. He asked if we could go to the park. I said no and pointed out it was raining outside and he asked, "Can I go outside and jump in rain puddles in my raincoat and boots?" Oh boy...  that's exactly what I need... a sick kid soaking wet. Oh well, maybe I will give in and let him for just a little bit.

Do you ever stop and find yourself just thanking God that you DON'T feel sick?  I've been doing that a lot lately... even before Vinny got sick. Perhaps I am jinxing myself in saying this, but I haven't had a sinus infection in over 2 months, which is a long time for me, and my mouth no longer hurts from the infected salivary gland (it took a long time to really pass and feel better but finally has), and I am just really grateful for good health right now. Let's hope I don't catch whatever V has.

Does anyone but me hate that show "Special Agent Oso?" If I have to watch one more episode of this stupid show... I think I might scream. What an annoying show. Who comes up with this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment