The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

8 days

I have no idea what to title today's blog. I have nothing significant to say, but just feel like writing.

It is the second to last week of school. We get out on June 17th. When non-teacher friends hear me say that, I think they conjure up memories of being a teenager and how great and freeing it felt to reach that point and know summer is right around the corner, because they say, "You must be so relaxed," or things like that.

As a teacher, I still have that feeling, but until like June 16th at midnight, it is mixed with a lot of stress. The school has to use 8.5"x14" paper to print our summer checkout checklist. It has a ton of items on it. I remember my first year thinking that it would probably be a piece of cake, but there are just so many little steps... and those are just the things on the list.

Then there is the stuff I just know I have to personally take care of. There are lots and lots of papers to grade and grades to enter. I need to wrap up drama stuff, particularly our trip to New York. I don't want to leave to a messy room, so I need to get my room straightened up. Although I have to say that I really feel great about my room this year, so it is worth cleaning. It is such a beautiful room and really feels like my home away from home. I think next year I want to get a sign made for it labeling it my "glass menagerie." 

But... I am very excited for summer to come and to be with my wonderful beautiful children all the time. :-)

That is so worth these next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment