The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Emotional Week

I don't have words to explain why this has been such an emotional week, but it has. A complete roller coaster.

This week... I have realize that students whom I had hoped would grow and mature have not come around, and now their friends will leave high school without them. That makes me sad.

I have had to deal with situations that have just devastated me, scared me, and relieved me, all at the same time.

I have been incredibly inspired by students as I hear their speeches of high school triumphs and college hopes. So many of these students are so much more amazing than I could have ever aspired to be. They will become amazing people.

My honors students are doing presentations on their Buried Life projects, more on that to follow, but their dedication is inspiring.

And then there is the pain.

Some of my students have dealt with far more pain in their short lives than I have ever even begun to understand.

:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment