The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Food Co-op

Marc and I buy the bulk of our food through a co-op. It saves us an unbelievable amount of money. Can you spend $50-$60 on groceries and make it stretch the whole month? We can....

This month's box will include...



I will probably make chili with the ground chicken (tastes just like beef chili for less than half the calories), have breakfast for dinner one night, bake cookies for our Bible study, turkey burgers with corn on the cob and baked beans another night, lasagna on a night I don't feel like cooking, the chicken rotisserie style in the crock pot with some veggies and potatoes one night, and then use the leftover chicken to make enchiladas another night (will need to supplement for that one). Since I don't really like grilled sausage, I will probably ground it and brown it and make some homemade tomato sauce with the vidalia onions and diced tomatoes leftover from last month's box, and serve it over rice with some of the veggies. Let's see, that also leaves grilled pork chops for one night and sloppy joes for another night (no buns this month, so I will need to buy those).  That is at least 9 dinners. Since we do eat out sometimes and eat leftovers pretty often... this will last us almost a month. 

Sound awesome?  It is. We have been doing it for about 9 months now.

How is it possible? No, it is not a charity or handout of any kind. We pay. It is just a great deal because they buy in bulk and break it up into the smaller boxes, and they buy from the best deals nationally and distribute it all over the country, and it takes out all the overhead costs of a grocery store, because it is distributed at churches, where the people who handle the distribution are volunteers. It is an awesome way to keep going during tough economic times.

Want in? Sign up today at http://www.angelfoodministries.com

No comments:

Post a Comment