The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer cannot come fast enough...

If the purpose of making Memorial Day a 4 day weekend (my school had Friday off too) was to rejuvenate teachers and students and give us the strength to go on for the next three weeks until the end of school, I am sad to say that it really did not work, at least for me.

Instead, it gave me just a taste of what I love so much about summer.... sun, sand, and sleep. Like a correctly portioned appetizer awakens your palate and reminds you how hungry you are, this past weekend has made me want nothing more than for it to be June 18th already. I want to sleep in, spend time with my son, and trek down to Malibu to sit happily by the shore , and now I am just hungrier for it than ever.

The only way I am keeping myself going right now is by thinking of how few days are left, and trying to live not in the moment, but in next year... reminding myself that the harder I work at getting next year set right now, the less work I will have to do during the summer. Except, when I think about getting it all done, I just think, "Ugh... it is so much WORK!"

No comments:

Post a Comment