The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A benefit to losing gallons of blood...

... is that I am halfway to pre-pregnancy size!

Seriously, I was lucked out there. After losing all of that blood, they gave me all these drugs to make my uterus contract faster, so within 24 hours of giving birth, my stomach was practically flat (okay, not flat, but in comparison, it felt that way).

When I had Vinny, I waited a week to step on the scale so that I wouldn't be too depressed with what I saw. Despite the fact that Vinny weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces, a week later, I had only lost like 3 pounds. Say what? And I still felt like I looked way pregnant... It sucked. I never expected miracles, but I had expected to lose at least the weight of the baby. I had a good cry and got over it and eventually lost all of the weight... like they say- 9 months up, 9 months down. Although I did find (to my first time pregnant friends and family, let this be your warning), even after I got below my pre-pregnancy weight, I was never again able to fit into pre-pregnancy pants. My body shape had just changed and that was just the way it was going to be.

I am excited to say that this is going to be much easier. I didn't gain nearly as much weight with Tiana as with Vinny (I probably have drama to thank for that- kept me active), and yesterday I stepped on the scale to learn that I have already lost half of it. :-) I am not quite ready to squeeze back into jeans, but I bet within a week I probably could. Considering that my pre-pregnancy weight was a little on the heavy side for me, my goal is to really get down to an ideal weight by the end of the year.

I think I wanted to take hip hop classes or maybe Zumba or possibly both. I found a Christian dance studio in the valley that I really want to try that has beginning adult hip hop classes. I have always wanted to take hip hop, but I have always felt like it was too late to start.  I found it earlier this year... right as I realized I was pregnant and was advised not to start a new fitness routine. Well... better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment