The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Like putting weights on a roadrunner...

This whole "slowing down" thing is really, really hard on me. I am a VERY active person. I thrive when managing 25 million things at once. I am happiest in life when I am busy. Since I had a slightly rough recovery with the blood loss and all, I was told to stay on bed rest for the first few days, and now I still am supposed to be sort of taking it easy, and just slowly returning to normal activity, but it is really, really hard on me.

Physically, I realize I have to. I was up and around a bit on Thursday and Friday, both around the house and a little out of the house, and while it was seriously nothing compared to my usual lifestyle, by Friday night, I was just zonked and physically really feeling the effects of it. I spent yesterday on the couch. Now today, I feel pretty good, and overall, I am sort of getting a little stir crazy. It is in my nature to want to stay busy. While I LOVE the stress-free feeling of being on maternity leave and not having a full stovetop of pots all boiling at the same time and 100 deadlines looming in the distance, it is in my nature to want to fill my time. I am having to make a conscious effort not to totally fill my calendar up, since Tiana and I need time to adjust.

Plus... I left several things somewhat undone upon leaving for break, like about 40 papers ungraded, so I need time to stay home and finish those too. But oh it is tempting to just be busy.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard when you're busy. I can't just sit around and that was what was so hard with the end of pregnancy. Now it's hectic getting out of the house but it's so good to get out, especially for Kaylee. But yeah right after Annabelle was born there was a point where I knew I did too much.

    ReplyDelete