The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kindergarten

As most of you know, my son is in preschool. His class this year is a lot like kindergarten, and it is very cute to hear him coming home and telling me about all that he is learning. Last night while we were working on my classroom, he was drawing letters on my board. He had a lot of fun with big "S" and baby "s." They must be focusing on it.

This month is a unit on manners and on the way home he tried to completely re-tell me the story they read today at school, The Bernstein Bears Learn Manners. I had a good laugh at Vinny's memory of the story. He also told me today that "boogers have to stay in your nose because they are okay there, but when they come out, they are yucky."  That was probably my favorite.

It is crazy to me how big he is getting. A friend of mine from high school tagged me in a photo today on FB. When I saw it, I thought, "Hmmmm..... what picture could she possibly be tagging me in?"  We had a lot of classes together in high school,  but we were not really friends outside of class. We didn't hang out in the same circle. Guess what it was?  Our kindergarten class picture. So not kidding. What a trip. It was funny seeing the few people whom she knew still and was able to tag. I was able to tag a couple more.... including our kindergarten teacher. (Through a weird twist of fate, Marc was a minister at her church when we got married. We actually developed a very close relationship with her and her husband. Her husband was an elder at the church and a mentor to Marc).

 What a small world... and how quickly time flies. I remember that day SO very well. I remember that dress, and lining up outside the auditorium to get our school pictures taken. My dad liked to take pictures a lot, and my parents were not photo studio people, so it was the first time I had ever been in front of a photographer like that before, and I didn't smile. I think I was just confused.

 In case you can't tell who I am in the kindergarten picture above, I will remind you that I was always the youngest and shortest kid in my class. Yup... that's me on the very end of the bottom row (pretty much the same spot I was in for every elementary class photo) in the flowery dress with the white knee snocks and black mary janes.  I was only 4 years old, same age as Vinny is now. Weird....  my baby boy is growing up.

Well, I am having really bad contractions tonight (but what's new) and bad heartburn, so I think I will go to bed early tonight.
I just can't stand this feeling any more. Bleh....

No comments:

Post a Comment