The Author

My photo
I am a high school English teacher, and mother of two charming little ones of my own. I teach in a high poverty urban charter school, while I live in a typical American suburb that has frequently been rated one of the safest cities in the country. It is a paradox I struggle with constantly, but it is my life.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Love my son so much...

I think he had a bad dream tonight. He started yelling to open the door, so I did.

"What's wrong Sweetie?"
Silence
"Do you need something, Vinny?"
"Um... yes...you."
(Awww... my heart melts).
I stand on his couch to put my head near his and peer through the slats of his bunk bed at him.
"Here I am. What's wrong?"
"Um, can I lay with you?"
Eek.Pause to think about this one. We only have a queen size bed. Its a tight squeeze when he crawls in there in the mornings sometimes. I nurse Tiana in bed in the middle of the night these days. If I fall asleep, this could become dangerous. Four people in my bed? Mmmm, I don't think so.
"How about I come lay up there with you?"
"Okay."
So, despite my utter dislike for small closed in spaces, I climb up to the top bunk. Being careful not to hit my head on the ceiling, I adjust his covers, which are totally balled up by his feet and lay down next to my precious son. I give him a kiss on the cheek and lay down next to him with my arm around him.

A couple of minutes pass.
"Mommy... is it morning?"
"No, it is still night."
"Oh......    Mommy?"
"Yes?"
"I think you should sleep in your bed."
Laughing inside. That didn't take very long.
"What Vinny?"
"Mommy, I think it would be better if you slept in your own bed."

I certainly agree. No complaints here. What an easy kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment